Thursday 29 December 2011

ohmigod, SHOES!

Sorry, for the late post. Between eating the leftovers from Christmas and tackling different things i.e., post-Christmas shopping.... Maybe.... I just never got around to doing it! So sorry about that, but here, enjoy! I was inspired to write this from my recent excursion to Dublin's city streets, lined with the fabulous shops that usually accompany a the country's capital.

No, this isn't a blog about Shane Dawson (youtuber who made a video called that) and it isn't what inspired me to write this blog either. Although, I must say, it correctly depicts the chemical attraction I (and most likely, my fellow teen girls) feel towards shoes. It's inexplainable and much to man's demise -irrepressible. However, I must point out that centuries of breeding have turned us into creatures who at least hunt for a good bargain what with the recession here with us in Ireland.

So, in the pre-Christmas hype, I was pulled in by the huge sale signs in Barratts shoes. I took a gander at its wares and came across many a fabulous reduced shoe that would go perfectly with absolutely anything. But, the one pair that struck a chord with me were the practical winter booties with a folded over leather collar, little heel and suede exterior. On the inside, they were fur-lined with a slightly padded sole -Barratts own branded shoe. The bright luminescent price tag caught my eye in what was already a bargain at seventy euros (although, I wouldn't have bought them at that price, to be honest) was reduced to forty-seven with a further reduction to twenty-nine euros. It was just shy off thirty and at that price, I couldn't just leave them there with no one to fight or them.

Faster than you could sayJjack-and-Jill-went-up-the-hill-to-fetch-a-pair-of-shoes, my phone was out and I was ringing my good mother for her counsel. She encouraged me in my plight and I bought it along with a can of protectant to look after that suede.

My ramble on about shoes does have a point to it, I'm afraid to say and despite my pre-Christmas splurge, I'm here to tell you to stop in your tracks and heed some advice I have to give you when dealing with the temptation we all have to shop until we drop. Post-Christmas is undoubtedly one your favourite times of the year as well as being one of mine. All the family are down and we have presents to play with but of course, there's the sales to deal with, if you even bother. At this point, some of you might not care, and right to -in most cases, you only get the unwanted stuff. But if you do end up going on a little shopping spree, take heed because there are some things I learned from last year's outing and the year before.

First rule is to restrain yourself -everything's dirt cheap so there is that choice to buy the shop out and go home broke -I beg you not to and tighten the purse strings since the money-well is probably running a little bit dry as of now. Secondly, flick through the sales for discounted items that will help stock up your wardrobe for the coming year, so when summer arrives and you need to go out you'll have a party frock at the ready. Another idea is to collect presents for next year or even people's birthday's because although it seems scabby, what they don't know won't hurt them and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle, time and money in the long-run. But be warned, stay away from spending money on unnecessary bits and bobs you honestly don't need and will never use.

Another thing to take stock of are the high-street stores like River Island, Awear, New Look, Tally Wjeil, Exhibit and my favourite -H&M. They're the best places to bag a bargain because they have all the stuff you want that you might find either pretty, useful, inter-changeable, or all three. So pass by Penney's, please, for your own sake because although the prices will be below ground-zero, there's no point buying things just for the sake of it. Although, all rules have exceptions, I will admit, so unless it’s something that will serve you well, don't bother even checking the price.

The Christmas sales is also one of the best times to take a day trip to your equivalent of Dublin city with the girls and just have fun trying on the worst possible outfits you can find. Trust me, it makes the memories...... Especially when you have your camera phone handy.



Enjoy the season everyone and a happy new year to all!

Arma.

No comments:

Post a Comment