Wednesday 18 July 2012

New Beginnings

We all have those urges when we decide to try something new -a sport, a musical instrument, a language. Some of the time it works, some of the times it just fails spectacularly and you give up -I'm sort of like that, if I don't have an initial affinity for it, I immediately say "NO! I'm NOT doing this anymore!" Like a three year old slamming down their box of crayons when they're accidentally coloured outside the lines.
    But recently I've had lots of ideas of trying things out, the ones going most well are my new liking for the martial art, ninjutsu (and YES, I am learning to be a ninja, try not to be jealous) and another contact sport, kick-boxing. I like them both, they're physically active, not something I naturally go into and they're enjoyable with a group of people around me and interesting things to try out.
    Languages? Pfft, I'm learning French in school, although I'd like to get better at that language instead of replying to everything with a blank expression and a mumble of "Oui" tumbling out of my mouth.
   And that brings me to musical instruments. My first love -music. Everything about it, the history, the theory and most important, the piano. I've been doing piano since I was about seven going on eight, around second class, maybe first, I can't remember. But every since then, I've gotten over the whole outburst of "I'M NOT DOING PIANO ANYMORE, I DON'T LIKE IT ANYMORE!" When I was nine until I fell down over that hill and began to really really really really really really (I could go on, but I won't) like it.
   However, I can't help but feel underachieved when people come out and they're like, "Yeah I can play piano, too! And guitar, and violin, and cello, and trumpet and accordian and OH! I'm starting the harp, too." I groan internally but outwardly, I try to smile and if I don't I just give them my blinking, staring expression of awe and then go on to bow down and worship them.
   So, then I decide -I'll take up organ! Which I will, but those damn foot pedals are a pain in the neck and as I have realised recently, it's not that I find it difficult itself, it's the fact that I'm comparing it to piano, something I've been doing for nine, going on ten years and have gotten to quite a good standard in and then I stop and say, "It's not working" and abandon it there and then, just because I'm not necessarily good at it straight away.
    It's a problem that I'm trying to get over because as I've realised recently, it has actually interfered with my job in my friend's mam's shop where I'm making sprays and posies but they just DON'T want to go right. It's me, not them, and my inability to start at the beginning again, down at the lowest rung and make my way up a year at a time. Practice makes perfect has always been my motto.
    And so, this time when I'm saying that I'm taking up guitar, I'm actually going to do it. I'm quite terrible, I've only started to day (Tuesday) but I'm willing to keep working at it until I get it to a proficient level as such. We'll see how I go, I won't give up, I'm getting too stubborn at this point.

And so that's me out,

Arma.

2 comments:

  1. Je parle francais assez bien mais c'est tout! Je joue le tin whistle (gravement) si bravo :)

    Jenn/Media Group Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le tin whistle est un instrument formidable!!! :D -Arma

      Delete