Sunday 30 September 2012

the common cold.

Hi guys, sorry I'm late.

As I'm sure most of you have noticed we're fast approaching flu season again. I've had more than a few run ins with everyone's favourite disease; I spent majority of days between the ages of 8 and 14 sniffing in an ever failing to clear my bloody nostrils. It drove my mother up the wall. Mind you, it suddenly became ok whenever she had a cold, but it went straight back to being the eighth deadly sin whenever she was cured. 
  So, fast forward a couple years and I've finally been cured of my 6 year long plague. It still comes back to play every now and then, but my body seems to have mastered the art of getting it to f*ck off when it does. Trust me, I'd love for this to be a blog about the 100% bona-fide truth about how to get rid of that dasterdly curse once and for all. But seriously. Scientists haven't even figured that out yet. Give it time, I might surprise ya, but at said moment in time I don't have close to enough resources. 
Anyway.
  Here's a quick run down. Your body is constantly produces mucus to fight of any bacteria that might try and make it's way into your body. The mucus is drained down two holes at the back of your nose, with then led down your throat. However, when you get a cold, the blood vessels around these holes become inflamed. This is what causes that ''stuffed nose'' feeling. The holes become blocked, and mucus can't be drained properly. So no amount of blowing your nose will allow you to breathe freely. 
What will you may ask? In my experience;
•plenty of water
•plenty of rest
•wrap up warm.
I know, I know, this isn't exactly a scientific break-through, but it's all I've got ok? I've heard that breathing in steam helps to unblock those holes, but it's a theory that I've yet to test. 

so That's all for now folks. See yas real soon!
-teri

1 comment:

  1. On the medication side a find antihistamines and/or paracetamol particularly effective when you're feeling pretty bad. Vicks is also pretty good, oh and a few drops of eucalyptus on the pillow. Solunle Vitamin C is also good to scare away colds, it stops them from being so severe. This all comes from colds that have sometimes lasted up to 6 months with me!

    Jenn/Media Group Gal

    ReplyDelete