Wednesday 1 August 2012

Gosh Dern Foreigner.

Sup Dawgs.

I've just spent a week in sunny (ha, as if) Killarney on holidays with my family. Now I could talk about the beautiful countryside or climbing Carantuohill (Ireland's highest mountain) but no, I think I might focus on a subject my father so graciously pointed out in every place we went in to.

''it's all foreigners working here''

It's not an unfamiliar phrase or thought to the majority of people who live in Ireland. Alien species have gradually been invading our pleasant isles for the last god knows how many years now, and the numbers are starting to add up to a noticeable figure.

The main reason, people claim, that 'they', not to quote south park but that ''they took err jerbs'' is because they work for a lower wage. As far as I see it, there is two ways this is possible. No. 1, it's a form of discrimination. Can employers really just look at a person's skin tone and think 'oh, they'll work cheap'. It's not like people write 'will work for minimum wage' in the achievements section of their CV.  Am I really the only one who has noticed this, or am I just the only one willing to point it out?

The only other reason I can see for this situation, is the possibility that Irish people do get hired, but are fired again because they won't work at the lower wage. If this is the case, all I can say is 'what''? If some people are willing to do the same work for less, then why the hell shouldn't they get the job? Just because we like the idea of a lavish lifestyle, doesn't mean it's possible to live it in this current economy. It just isn't. if people want this country to be even bordering on great again (question mark after the 'again'), they need to be willing to make some sacrifices. And if they're not, maybe they should just emigrate.

Because honestly I'm not sure if that's such a bad thing any more. I may only be young, but I've come to realise that Ireland is the tiniest fraction of this great rock we live on. Yet we're huge. We've expanded. We've left the nest to survive, and now dot the globe like mosquitos. I remember being in america, and people saying to me, ''Oh yeah? I'm half irish, my grandmother's maiden name was 'Malloy''. At the time I just shook my head, but now it seems like that may be the way it's going. Maybe in a couple centuries time, no one will be 'pure-blood' irish, we'll all just be cocktails of Mongolian and Portarican or something. And that isn't a bad thing!

While watching the parade of all the countries at the Olympic ceremony, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't know where in the world half the places where from, but I sorta guessed form the colour of their skin. But when it came to the U.S, the whole group was made of such a mix of Black people, Chinese people, people who's nationality I couldn't even guess, it wasn't as if they were representing the U.S.A, it was like they were representing the world.

Imagine that though. Everyone being such a mix of everything that you could no longer tell who was African, or American, or even Irish. Everyone was just from the world, and that was all that mattered.

So let the gosh dern foreigners works. Give it some time, and they might stop being foreigners altogether.

I shall leave you with this awesome video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApcqhokPeb4&feature=plcp enjoy.

toddle loo!
-teri


No comments:

Post a Comment